Foot & ankle injuries can be some of the most painful and most difficult injuries to heal, which is why it’s important to get help via outpatient physical therapy services offered at Centennial Sports & Physical Therapy in Spokane Valley, WA.
What Causes Foot & Ankle Injuries?
Foot and ankle injuries are some of the most common injuries today, both for athletes and non-athletes alike. The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) estimates 2 million people injure their foot or ankle every year!
Foot and ankle injuries can be caused by:
- Ankle sprains and strains caused by overuse or overstretching
- Ankle fractures due to trauma or sports injuries
- Stress fractures that result from running or overuse of the feet
- Plantar fasciitis, a swelling of the plantar fascia that leads to severe heel pain and can be caused by excessive standing with no support
- Tendinitis, which forms due to chronic overuse and tears in the foot and ankle tendon
- Achilles tendinitis, which is an inflammation of the ankle tendons, caused by overuse or sudden trauma
How Do I Know If I Need Physical Therapy?
Many foot & ankle injuries can heal on their own with the help of the RICE method. This is a common method for treating simple strains and sprains, and involves:
- Resting the site of the injury
- Icing the injured area
- Compression of the area using compression bandages or socks to reduce swelling
- Elevating the foot above the torso to reduce blood flow and inflammation
Unfortunately, grade 2 (moderate) or grade 3 (severe) strains can be difficult to treat with RICE alone, and are subject to re-injury. If you notice pain while standing or walking, swelling that won’t go away, or suffer constant injuries, it’s best to seek the help of physical therapy experts.
How Can Outpatient Physical Therapy Near Me Help?
Physical therapists provide a variety of treatments to encourage natural healing of the foot and ankle muscles, restore strength and mobility after an injury, and improve balance. These treatments include:
- Muscle Massages
- Muscle Stretches
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Muscle Strengthening Exercises
- Myofascial Release
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM)
Get The Physical Therapy Care You NeedToday
Our dedicated team of physical therapists are here to help you gain back strength, mobility, and balance in your injured muscles, and help you live pain-free through our 100% natural healing methods. If you live in Spokane Valley, WA, call Centennial Sports & Physical Therapy to book an appointment and improve your quality of life today.